Sunday, December 7, 2008

Date Night

Scott and I have not been out to dinner without kids since we have been to Boise. So with 2 other couples, we went to dinner and an impromptu movie (we didn't think to make reservations). We went to a nice restaurant called PF Chang's and just enjoyed the company of our friends. We had been talking about ways to enjoy the true meaning of Christmas, and trying to explain to our kids that they don't need to make long wish lists. One friend, Jodi, mentioned that in past they went and bought McDonald's gift cards then went and found homeless people. I was determined to come home and talk the kids about ways they think we could help people less fortunate than us.

As we were ordering dessert and the waiter was boxing up all our "leftovers", a homeless man walked by the window pushing his bicycle and a pull along loaded down with his belongings. The girls and I just look at each other and Cristin said, "Should we?" and we all knew what she meant. The boys didn't think we could catch up to him, but don't underestimate 3 girls trying to do a good deed! Indeed, 2 blocks and across the street later, we did catch up to this gentleman and offered him our food. He was very thankful, and we immediately felt so good for doing this for him. Honestly the leftovers probably would have sat in our fridge for days only to get thrown out.

I am so thankful for friends who are such a good example to me. I honestly would never have done anything like this before. Then in listening to the First Presidency's Devotional tonight, talking about helping those less fortunate just reemphasized this for me. I am going to try and set a good example for my kids.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sissy! That's just awesome! I am proud of you!! Everytime I have change or case, I give it to a homeless person. SO many people have made it a point to let me know that they might not really need it. I always say, "then it's there fault for taking advantage. At least if they do then I helped out." I love you!! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be an everlasting Christmas memory for you for the rest of your life, you arent' just an example to your kid's, who know's who else saw you guy's chasing down that man and giving him your food. See you guy's in a few week's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Jana!! :) I remember Sarah and I running a race in Columbia and Nick met us at the end with water (he was our water boy!) Anyway, there was a homeless guy who stopped to talk to us afterward and we all walked together to the nearest Hardee's and bought him breakfast...it was a great experience that we all will never forget. The little things mean the most in someone else's life!

    ReplyDelete