Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Turkey Chunks.....

Doesn't that sound YUMMY? NO, not at all.

Today was my first experience inside of the church cannery. I thought I would do my good deed and service so I signed up with our ward Relief Society. We had a good time laughing and making jokes about the hair net, gloves, and smocks we had to wear.
All laughing stopped when we actually went into the cannery and SMELLED the turkey chunks. Oh my heck, it was the worse smell.

We were divided up into groups, and we were all nervous waiting to see what area we were going to be working in. A few of my friends were thrown into the "stuffing the cans" area which was the first phase of the process. Let me just tell ya, that I have never been so happy to have a cold! Because that got me out of working in this area!

So, I was led to the packing and labeling area. Which I thought I had lucked into the best area. That was until I started loading the warm, wet, and stinky cans of the finished process of turkey chunks onto the conveyor to get labels. The smell was almost as bad as the raw turkey!

Ok, so I did my good deed. I got my little card so that I can go and buy products such as jams, frozen fruits, wheat, potato flakes, honey and soups.

Believe it or not, I actually signed up to do another session in April...Strawberry Jam!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully Strawberry jam will be much better...the turkey does NOT sound fun at all!

    ReplyDelete